Monday, March 31, 2008

[Rec]


I finally found an English subs version and now Sean is off the hook for providing translation from Spanish. And good thing because there was more going on than just screaming and hiding.

This is probably the scariest movie I've seen in a decade. It's a decent neo zombie like 28 days later - infection drives people into a frenzied state and they eat other people. Granted it isn't unique or as well made as 28 days later but it's decent. It is filmed with a hand held camera but this isn't nearly as shaky as Cloverfield.

The story follows local tv reporter Angela and her cameraman, Pablo as they film firefighters on a routine call. Except it turns out to be not so routine. An older and apparently sick resident of the apartment building they enter attacks a police officer biting him. Things get worse when the Spanish version of the CDC seals everyone in the building. The infection spreads and everyone gets zombiefide. There were few "oh, shit" moments that had me yelling at the screen but the gore was pretty mild. For the most part I was involved but it was still pretty clear that I was watching a movie.

The last 20 minutes or so get incredibly creepy. This would definitely fit on the list of creepiest movie moments. (I may have slept with a light on last night - which makes no sense because I would really prefer to not see if a zombie was going to attack me and I am fairly certain that there are no zombies in the tri-county area.)

Angela and Pablo find refuge in the penthouse apartment that's supposed to be vacant but you know it isn't. More is revealed about what's really going on but not a whole of questions are answered.

It isn't clear exactly what the infection is or how it spread to the other residents. The CDC guys knew about it too, so this isn't the first outbreak. And it seems to be able to be spread from animal to human.

All the actors were believable and the characters seemed real. I really liked Angela even though occasionally you'd wish she'd shut up.

Of course there is an American remake in the works starring Deb from Dexter. I think I'll miss that one.

No comments: